Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Seattle Resident since 1930's - AMA!


Hey everyone! I'm setting up an AMA with my grandmother, who is a long-term Seattle resident. If you want to know anything about the cultural history of Seattle, she's a wealth of knowlege. Here's her background:She moved to Seattle in 1939, graduated Lincoln in 1941, lived in Wallingford, worked for Boeing from 1957 to 1987 (assembly, including work on the moon landers). Still lives in Seattle in a house my grandfather built. She saw Seattle through WW2, Boeing during some very interesting years, and dealt with the various cultural rises through the decades. Her children and grandchildren have been part of pretty much every stereotypical Seattle movement/profession out there. Her family came to Goldendale in 1886, and Monroe in 1903. She still has a lot of stories from them about crossing the mountains by horse, log cabin life, etc. Though very unsure when I first proposed the idea, she has recently expressed interest in sharing her story and answering questions. The caveat is that she is deeply distrustful of the internet, and she really doesn't want her picture online, even in a private message. I'm working on getting some old city life photos from her. These are being digitally scanned for the first time ever!I'm thinking that I'll take questions for a couple days, sit down with her and crank out some answers afterwards. So ask away, and I'll do my best to get as many answers as possible. via /r/SeattleWA http://ift.tt/2drQ5kv

No comments:

Post a Comment