Sunday, October 2, 2016

Suggestion about the use of the wiki in comments


One thing that drove me a little crazy about the subreddit-whose-name-I-don't-want-to-speak is the attitude that if there was a link in the FAQ/Wiki, you couldn't ask the same question. There are several issues I had with that.Often the information in the previous linked posts was outdated.Users who didn't see the original post linked in the FAQ might have very different answers.Users who posted on the old posts may not be active and available for further discussion.It made the sub (and every sub that has this policy) incredibly unfriendly. Filter out posts you don't want to see or just don't open them.The information in the links is not in the most useful format. Going forward, if anyone has the time and inclination, it'd be great to reformat some of the old posts that are linked into a spreadsheet that can be edited and updated on the wiki.For all these reasons, I'd love to see the wiki used more as an additional piece of information to point people to, rather than as a substitute for asking a question. I'd rather have a bit of repetition I can ignore than exclude what could be interesting new answers. What do you guys think? via /r/SeattleWA http://ift.tt/2dRQ8I2

No comments:

Post a Comment