Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What's up with the opposition to the public camping law?


There's only one councilman opposed, but if Reddit's any indication, there isn't a single reasonable Seattleite that wants this law passed.I've seen maybe one random comment that didn't seem unilaterally opposed to the law. Why is that?I saw these comments saying that "leftists" wanted the law passed. Myself being a leftist, but finding it odd that anyone would argue in favor of used needles lying around everywhere, I did a bit of research only to find that the law was based on a proposal by the American Civil Liberties Union, which, in my experience, tends to advocate things I like.I'm personally torn on it. I think we could benefit from some compassion. On the other hand, I just read an article citing "neighborhood sidewalks being used as a bathroom" as a reason not to pass the ordinance, and immediately recalled an event that happened maybe a month ago, where I saw a homeless dude in a urinal pose, hand on the hips, taking a leak on University and 2nd Ave, right there in the middle of the sidewalk next to the Russell Investments Building.What sucks about the issue to me is that I don't feel as though it's really getting the consideration it deserves. The proposal was a reaction to a shitty situation that is the current status quo. The reaction to the proposal is a fear of that situation becoming worse in the short (and long) term. But if this proposal works, then couldn't that worsening actually be a part of the solution? Like, it gets bad, so we're actually okay with the effort it would take to improve things such that we all benefit? That's the part of the discussion that I'm just not really seeing anywhere, and it's troubling to me.p.s.: Downvote away, but I ask that you pair your downvote with a well-formed explanation, both for my benefit as someone trying to figure this stuff out and that of anyone else in a similar position. Thank you! via /r/SeattleWA http://ift.tt/2e4NmLL

No comments:

Post a Comment