Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Continued: no conditions report, complex refuses to return my full deposit


I'll summarize as much as possible from a couple months ago:Apartment complex was owned by Phillips real estate. I moved to Seattle in 2014. My roommate in the complex was the lease holder (lease signed in 2012), and I was allowed to sublease from him (added as a roommate). Commonwealth bought the property. My roommate moved out. Instead of ending his lease and creating a new lease, Commonwealth removed him as a roommate, and did a lease extension of the original release in my name. The lease paperwork starts off in my original roommate's name, which is already kind of weird to me.Either Phillips never issued a conditions report, or Commonwealth lost the conditions report. The fact of the matter is that there is simply no conditions report. Most of the damage in the apartment (pretty minimal) was there before I arrived. My roommate had been there 2 years before me...so I don't even know the condition of the apartment. For instance, I was billed for new stove burner pans, but they were damaged when I arrived.As far as I understand, I'm entitled to 100% of the deposit if there was no conditions report / move-in checklist. They are insisting on reducing the withheld amount to $50 instead of $100. I've already linked them to this but they won't budge. I realize it might be a waste of my time to get a lawyer and sue them for the full amount of the deposit (a meager $275), but this company is rather sketchy and probably does this to everyone and majorly pisses me off.What should I do? I'm living in Texas right now. via /r/SeattleWA http://ift.tt/2dEHTPh

No comments:

Post a Comment